Monday, December 10, 2007

Where's the Line Between Art and Advertisement?


I found a piece of lost art all around Fremont today, at least that's what I thought when I passed some random Stickman signs on my walk with Revi this morning, which usually ends up at the Fremont Coffee Company. I should note that the signs in questions look like the attached photo, but without the all important word at the bottom: "Coffee" which of course could have derailed the whole walk.

For those I haven't proselytized my love of "lost art" to, the idea is basic. One loses a poem or a piece of visual art out in the world to do what art does, but without the additional burden of ego. Simply put, the art is created then disseminated for the larger society to stumble upon and react to, just as one would in a gallery or a reading. The caveat is that it is something that many wouldn't encounter in their daily routines. Lost art is Christo, it is Banksy, it is strange things sent through the mail and poems stuffed in unsuspecting magazines and newspapers.

What does it say then, that this Seattle business is resorting to such Guerrilla tactics? The image itself is interesting, a "Stickman" in some sort of crazy pose, dancing perhaps under his own name. I was hoping that over time, the unnamed artist would reform his creation and the Stickman would become animated, dancing and strolling through the neighborhood from lightpole to lightpole. But it seems that this is just a wish of mine, not a tangible reality.

I guess that leaves it to me to realize my own fantasy, to create a competing character to follow in Stickman's wake. Who can compete with the Stickman? What are his dreams? Fears? Who are his natural predators?

Maybe I should just try the coffee first; take Revi out on another walk and see if the beans are worth the hype. Still, I can't help but think that if the word "Coffee" had just been printed under the smattering of fliers I saw, this whole existential crisis might have been averted.

2 comments:

StuckeySpalt said...

Found art is cool! I agree with you that it makes me a little nervous for found art to be marketing...

In a related note, I heard this great story on NPR a while back where this guy wrote and addressed post cards (of various tastes and subject matter), left them in public places, and then tracked which ones got mailed back.

Anonymous said...

Great work.